From:
Chris Mullins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Jan 2003 23:10:29 -0500
My sister, Renee Fleming fanatic, and I flew into Chicago late on 1/8
to see the "Thais" matinee on 1/9. We had a great time in the magnificent
Art Museum in the morning, and much fun at the "Thais," and that evening
I made my first visit to Symphony Hall, where we climbed several hundred
flights of stairs to reach the steepest balcony I can imagine. But the
seats had a great view of the stage and wonderful sound.

The place was jammed, as I have never seen L.A. Phil for a Thursday
evening concert, and there was a very healthy number of younger patrons
- that is, younger than 65, which seems to be the average age at some
LA Phil concerts. I shouldn't complain - at 47 I sometimes feel like a
young buck at the Dorothy Chandler!

Papanno conducted the "Fantasia on a theme of Tallis," and the strings
were exquisite. Frankly, I don't know if it's possible for me to stay
completely focused all the way through this piece. It is so exquisite
as it starts, and then it stays exqusite, keeps on being exquisite,
throws in something exquisite here and there - there's a lot of "exquisite"
there.  And I love Vaughan-Williams! But, you know, play "The Wasps"
overture from time to time. Or Symphony 4.

Then Gil Shaham came on for Prokofiev 1. Now, I am a HUGE Prokofiev fan,
but I haven't loved V Cto 1 the way I do #2. I listened to the Vengerov
before going, and still found problems with the first movement - it
doesn't have the melodic attraction for me I usually find in Prokofiev,
and it goes on a bit. The last two movements I like much more.

Well, Shaham didn't convince me that I'm wrong, but he helped me enjoy
the first movement more than I ever have. He spun such a silky, sensuous
line, and helped me follow the musical thought. Then he danced through
the middle and final movements and just rocked the house. Huge ovation.
And the man puts on a show - spinning half-way round, crouching, practically
leaning up against Papanno. I look forward to my next chance to enjoy
him live - he'll play the Brahms in the Disney Hall inaugural season.

Then Papanno ended the evening with Sibelius 2. Another great love of
mine. Virgil Thompson can stick it (if you know his opinion of the
piece!).  However - I don't know what Papanno did, but the performance
never seemed in control to me. The symphony seemed much longer than I
have ever heard it, as if it were stopping and starting again from time
to time. And Pappano really let the famous Chicago brass have their way.
They drowned out most of the rest of the orchestra a few times! But the
lead trumpet sang out some achingly beautiful lines. As often as I have
heard the trumpets at LA Phil blow some bloopers, I had to appreciate
the Chicago horns' intonation and tone. But let me hear the strings!

A fun visit. I don't know when I'll be back in Chicago again, but I'll
definitely try to make it back to Symphony Hall when I do.

C Mullins
Redondo Beach CA