From:
William Valles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Jan 2003 01:08:09 -0500
Don Satz has come up with anther of his gems of encyclopedic music
reviewing.  I religiously file his reviews to use in adding to my
collection, and have added Argerich's and Freire's interpretations pf
the Chopin preludes on the srength of his recommendations.  After listening
to my new acquisitions, I find that he was dead on target with his
judgements and I thank Don for his help.

After reading the review of the Chopin Opus 66, I made a beeline to my
CD collection to check what I had.  I found The Opus 66 in RCA's "Arthur
Rubinstein - The Chopin Collection", a twelve CD aet containing much of
the Chpin that Rubinstein recorded.  The version included in the set is
the 1964 vrersion that Don considers less desirable than others that
Rubinstein recorded.  Again I found Don's judgement to be outstanding.
The music seems somehow detached, and did not,ove me at all despite its
ravshing purity and brilliance.

The other Chopin Opus 66 in my collection is a performance by Horowitz
on Sony SK 45818.  Fon did not include this performance in his Part 1
review of Chopin Opus 66 recordings.  I am hoping it is included in Part
2.  I found it superior to the Rubinstein in every respect, and this
from one who thought Rubinstein was the epitome of Chopin [[iano music
performance.

William C. Valles