From:
Mikael Rasmusson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Jul 2002 23:27:25 +0200
Michael Cooper on Saint-Saens #2 and "tragic" Piano Concerti in general:

>...  Please share with me, if you will, any of your favorite Romantic
>(or other, if you must) piano concertos (and performances of such)
>whose closing bars are in a minor key.  They need not actually be called
>"concerto"; works like Weber's Konzertstucke, Rachmaninoff's Paganini
>Rhapsody, Beethoven's Choral Fantasia, R.  Strauss' Burleske, etc.,
>would qualify, if they stuck to their minor keys for the close.

I can only think of Liszt's Totentanz (D minor) and possibly his "third"
piano concerto Eb minor, but in the latter piece he switches to Eb major in
the third movement only to hover between the minor and the major key in the
coda.

Mikael Rasmusson <[log in to unmask]>