From:
Tim Horwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 12:54:58 +0100
Tim Mahon wrote:

>Jeff Dunn on the subject opines:
>
>>Programming is influenced more strongly by other, political factors, e.g.,
>>repertoire of hired soloists, friends of the conductor
>
>Agreed.  But that doesn't mean to say it could not, should not or indeed,
>in some cases, is not being done.  The first night of the Proms on Friday,
>for example, sandwiched the UK premiere of Roberto Sierra's "Fandangoes"

I got the impression from the TV interview with Roberto Sierra that he was
a friend of the conductor.  Having said that the piece was very enjoyable
and deserved to be played.  I tried watching the Lalo but the violinist was
going through so many facial contortions that I ended up closing my eyes at
times.

Tim Horwood