HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Sean Dunham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Nov 2002 15:54:25 -0500
Grant,

There have bee quite a few postings on HISTARCH concerning this topic
(it seems like a thread was going earlier this year).  The archives
might be worth a look:

http://lists.asu.edu/archives/histarch.html

A good source on the topic is:

Wagner, M. J. and M. R. McCorvie (eds.)
1992  The Archaeology of the Old Landmark:  Nineteenth Century Taverns
along the St. Louis-Vincennes Trace in Southern Illinois.  Illinois
Department of Transportation. Center for American Archaeology,
Kampsville, Illinois.

You may also want to contact Mark Branstner at [log in to unmask] who
looked at a tavern site in SW Michigan.  I am not sure what the status
of the report is, but Mark could tell you.

Good Luck,

Sean Dunham

Sean B. Dunham, RPA
Commonwealth Cultural Resources Group, Inc.
2530 Spring Arbor Road
Jackson, Michigan 49203-3602

Phone:  517-788-3550
FAX:  517-788-6594
e-mail:  [log in to unmask]
http://www.ccrginc.com

>>> "Grant L. Day" <[log in to unmask]> 11/12/02 10:56AM >>>
I am interested in more information about the John Hatchett Tavern
site. Is
there a site report or paper(s) available for the site? I am currently
completing analysis on a late 18th - early 19th century tavern in
central
Kentucky known as "John Higbee's Tavern Stand." I would appreciate
references for archaeological reports or papers dealing with taverns
from
the same time period. Also has anyone heard of the term "Tavern Stand"
before? Is there a difference between a "Tavern" and a "Tavern Stand"?

Grant L. Day, RPA
 Principal Investigator
 Cultural Resource Analysts, Inc.
 Lexington, KY 40508