HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 20:29:57 +0000
Kevin-

   There is a description of the two Baking Powders and Lee and Perrins in
Betty Zumwalt's "Ketchups, Pickles, Sauces: Nineteenth Century Food in Glass",
Mark West Publisher, Fulton, California, 1980.  The least common of the
products of your inquiry is probably Price Baking Powder.  According to
Zumwalt, Dr. V. Clarence Price and Charles R. Steele began manufacturing baking
powder and flavoring extracts in 1874 at 203 S. Water St. in Chicago. The
company relocated to 254 Illinois Street by 1887 and Steele was no longer a
partner (Zumwalt, p. 340).  Calumet Tea and Coffee was registered as a
trademark for baking soda on July 30, 1901 (Zumwalt, p. 79). Lea and Perrins is
described on pp. 269-271 in the Zumwalt reference and much of the information
in those pages has already been put on line.  I did a little research on this
product.  The Worcestershire Sauce is a very common bottle internationally.
According to the Canadian Botanical Association, 1994, "about 25 million liters
of Lea and Perrin's Worcestershire Sauce are consumed in over 140 countries
each year." The company is still very much in business and can be reached at 15-
01 Pollit Drive, Fair Lawn, NJ07410-2795, and they sent me literature on the
company history.  Their report stated that the product was named for two
pharmacists who formulated the original product, John Wheeley Lea and William
Henry Perrins, but the recipe supposedly was brought back to England from India
by Lord Sandys who had acquired the recipe when he was Governor of Bengal.
Nicholas Bannister in an article published in "The Guardian" on August 14,
1999, questioned the accuracy of the Lord Sandys story.  The product was first
made by Lea and Perrins in 1835, but not marketed until 1837.  It was imported
to the U.S. starting within a year or two and John Duncan became the official
U.S. importer in 1877.  Previously the bottles were manufactured in England,
but Duncan contracted with Salem Glass Works of Salem,New Jersey to manufacture
the bottles.  Later they were made by Anchor Hocking Glass.  Beginning in 1877,
the bottles were embossed "JDS" on the base for "John Duncan's Sons."  Note
that the bottles stopped being embossed in 1920 or 1921.  (Zumwalt, p. 269).
The company name (John Duncan's Sons) was changed to Lea and Perrins, Inc. in
1930. Hope this is helpful.

Allen Vegotsky