From:
Mats Andersson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 08:00:37 +0100
I have a question for you all that i cannot remember that it has been discussed here:

How does the varroa population in a hive make it throught winter? Winters here in Sweden are probably similar to those in Minnesota and the states around there. My bees are Carnolians, which stop laying early and have a period of at least three months with little or no brood. I'm thinking this must be really rough if your name is Varroa Destructor and this is where you live. Mites don't reproduce anywhere but in sealed brood, right? Do fall mites build up like fall bees so they can make it over the winter? How many percent of the mites in a hive in september make until march?

Does anyone have any good information about all this?

/Mats Andersson, Stockholm Sweden