From:
Peter Dillon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 23 Jun 2003 23:36:09 +0100
Jim appears to be ecstatic, Bob on the other hand phlegmatic regarding the work done on viral
infection/mites as done by Prof. Winston and others.

Ability to put this knowledge into effective use for the benefit of beekeepers appears to be about
zero at present.

Therefore, questions may arise on why this type of work is so interesting. It might attract comments
like " again waste of funds that could be placed in a more rewarding project".

It may also be suggested that this type of research appears to be leading to a similar impasse as
found with AFB.

We know what AFB is, what it does, how it works etc. BUT still can't overcome the agent.
Why?
Because, even though we can understand the problem - we have not yet developed the tools/ materials
that control it without compromising either the bees or the final product (contamination and health
risks).

Here with this recent data release, we appear to have a better understanding of mite/ virus/
infection relationship.
But, even with this in hand, the basic problem remains - how to get a control on the situation.

But putting mouth and money down, I side with Jim (but understand Bob) - to advance and change
potential into actuality requires "solid" knowledge - such as the above mentioned information, even
when it does not always allow applied development to occur immediately, or in a previously
recognised direction.

(A little like knowing how birds fly - but no being able to do the same - until new materials were
discovered and developed at a later date. We still can't fly - but we have machines that can do the
hard work for us!).

To deviate slightly:
Knowing which protein (if it is a protein!) glues AFB scale  to comb isn't much use by itself - but
if this information is allied to other knowledge (design in targeted protease applications) +
development of easy deliverance techniques, a novel control method for AFB might result.

At the present we can't control viruses to any fair degree, but if methodology is discovered, the
knowledge relating to bees/viruses/mites will be essential.

I do think that we are at a stage where data collection is progressing at a great speed - and in the
future, many techniques will be put forward for the use of such. The difficulty appears to be
foreseeing the consequences of these future applications.

I fear that time and financial resources will not be given before applications are instigated in
conditions where stepping back will be possible.

So, keep on collecting data - even if it appears to be of academic use.

Regards
Peter