From:
Paul Silverthorne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Aug 2002 11:56:07 EDT
[log in to unmask] writes:

>Dear All, Can anyone recommend a good recording of the Rozsa Viola and
>violin concertos?

I shall say nothing to recommend my recording, I'll leave that to others
who are kind enough to do so for me.  However I do love the piece, it's
as good to play as to listen to.  I had great pleasure working with Jim
Sedares (an extremely musical conductor and sympathetic accompanist) on
the work.  We performed it twice with the Phoenix Symphony a few months
before we went to NZ for the recording.

Alas, I wasn't able to experience one of the excellent concert halls of
which Dave Harbin speaks, due to renovation work in the hall in Wellington
we had to go to Lower Hutt Town Hall, which is about as good as it sounds.
Fortunately the producer, Michael Fine and his team are as good as you
can get and managed to make some semblance of a silk purse out of it.  The
orchestra was very good to work with, I think they enjoyed the music though
they went through quite a pile of repertoire that week including the Rosza
Sinfonia Concertante and some Bloch and Norman Dello Joio that has never
been issued.

Paul Silverthorne