From:
Kevin Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jun 2004 00:01:11 -0500
Stumpf wrote:

>If all else fails I have a copy I would be happy to burn for you...

At the risk of sounding like a curmudgeon, the burning of cds for
the purpose of anything outside of private and personal use is illegal.
Out of print does not mean out of copyright, and to make a copy, (for
anyone other than yourself) you must gain the permission of the copyright
holder and pay the appropriate fee.  I know that "everybody does it" but
as one who has and does make his a part of his living from the sale of
recordings, I must protest, respectfully and politely, but nonetheless
firmly, the offering of such activities on a list such as this one.

Most sincerely,

Kevin Sutton

 [No one can make a living on a recording that is out of print.
 I'm a big believer in copyrights, and have only a handful of
 burned CDs compared to over 7000 purchased.  But in the case
 where a label, especially a big one, won't keep a recording
 in print, then I think it's fair game for private copying.
 It simply makes no sense to thump on the copyright bible
 when there's no other way to get the recording.  -Dave]