From:
Jon Gallant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Oct 2003 23:28:07 -0800
Jan Templiner writes:

>To me, this sounds like the usual "wahoo, we found something by a known
>composer, let's call it the greatest thing ever", similar to Beethoven's
>tenth or the Bruckner 9 finale. Of course, this "unique" view into a
>composer at work is familiar from BIS' busy unearthing of Sibelius
>sketches.

The principal interest of that BIS series for me is its illustration
of how well Sibelius knew his craft: the final versions of the violin
concerto, En Saga, and the 5th symphony sure are improvements over the
earlier versions BIS unearthed.  Still, they have unearthed at least one
real gem in "The Wood Nymph".  What a find for Sibelius fiends (like
myself).  Then, there is the case of Schubert's Tenth, realized from
piano score by Newbold (on Hyperion).  It is not "wahoo, the greatest
thing ever", but nonetheless it is good to have it, especially the
haunting, Mahler-like slow movement.  I say, let the unearthers and
realizers have at it!

Jon Gallant                and                    Dr. Phage