From:
Mitch Friedfeld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 May 2003 13:37:44 -0400
Barrett wrote:

>That's why I wanted to ask, as seasoned veterans of collecting, are
>many of us loyal to a particular label, orchestra, or conductor?  I ask
>this because, in my brief history buying these CD's, I've developed a
>particular fondness (almost a fettish) for any CD which boasts the golden
>Deutsche Grammophon label.  If it's good enough for Alex in "A Clockwork
>Orange", it's good enough for me!  But besides that, this seems to be
the most consistently great label that I have found, and it occupies
>almost 90% of my collection.  Anybody else have any favorites?

Although you write above about "label, orchestra, or conductor," your
main question is about labels.  For me, it doesn't make sense.  Sounds
like the TV ads we used to see LONG ago: "Watch CBS" (regardless of
what program they were showing).  I have a lot of Naxos discs, but that's
only because I wanted a good-enough version of many of the classics.
I was pleased to see in another thread that somebody else likes the
bargain-basement Beethoven quartets and symphony boxes; I have both of
these.  But the decision to buy those was made on economics, not loyalty
to a label.  It should also be said that even Deutsche Grammophon can
issue a clunker every once in a while.

Mitch Friedfeld