From:
Ed Zubrow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 May 2003 13:21:22 -0400
The last couple of weeks, I have been playing a disc of Shostakovich's
Michelangelo Suite for Bass and Orchestra.  While I wouldn't classify
this as my favorite orchestral/vocal music, nor even my favorite Russian
vocal music, it is undeniably emotional.  Unfortunately, having nothing
but a German text, I have little idea what the emotions are, or how well
the music connects to the text.

Does anyone have English translations?  Or know where I might find some.
The music is interesting enough to me to want to know more about it.
I'm also curious about the history of the piece and how people think it
compares to other aspects of Shostakovich's vocal output.

Ed