From:
Chris Mullins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 May 2003 21:48:37 -0400
Although I am a bit burnt out on Rach #2 and #3, I still hold a great
love for the "runt" of the litter, #4. I also have that recent Ondine
disc of the original version, and it is fascinating and plain exciting
in its own right. This concerto's remarkable orchestration, ecstatic
climaxes, and lower-schmaltz level (especially as compared to #2) appeal
greatly to me.  The revision comes from late in Rach's career - when he
was composing masterpieces such as the "Symphonic Dances." I never seem
to tire of these late works, as I seem to have of Symphony 2, for example.

Way back in my teen days, I bought a Melodyia/Angel LP of Tchaikovsky's
"Winter Dreams" symphony, only to find that the record inside was Prokofiev
#3 and Rach #4, neither of which I knew. This happened in that stage of
one's record-buying life that some may recognize - you know a few pieces
and add more to your collection based on how attractive the cover is and
how familiar the composer's name is.

At any rate, I decided to give the record a spin and fell in love with
both concertos. The pianist was a Nicolai Petrov, and he did a bang-up
job on Rach #4 - not subtle, but fun. I have tried to find this performance
on CD just for sentimental reasons, but have had no luck.

At any rate, I would urge the Earl Wild/Horenstein complete set on Chandos
be given a fair shot. I don't know if it's easily available at this
moment, but it has much to recommend it.

And the composer's performances (all with Ormandy, I believe) are out
on Naxos.

C Mullins
Redondo Beach