From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 May 2003 17:53:45 +0000
Karl Miller writes:

>One of my favorite recordings of Kreisleriana is on our label Pierian ...
>James Mathis in Concert
>Pierian 0011/12.

I've been debating whether to acquire the Mathis 2-cd set, for I had not
heard of him until I saw the listing for the set on the Arkiv website.
With Karl's favorable pitch, I will get the set which also has the
Prokofiev Piano Concerto No.1 and 1st Piano Sonata among other works.

Concerning the Pierian label, I picked up on Karl's advice the disc of
Granados playing his own music.  It's a relevatory set of performances,
and Karl has my gratitude for steering me in its direction.  The sound
is so up-to-date that I felt as if Granados was at my piano; he plays
much better than I do.  My wife Ellen Jane heard the music also and
commented that I never sounded so good.  She sure was right about that
- never did and never will.  My piano playing has the distinct sound of
fingers glued together.

I am also interested in the Pierian 3-cd set of Prokofiev's Piano Sonatas
performed by Barbara Nissman.  Although it comes with a high price tag,
the set is still enticing.  Perhaps Karl might offer a few comments about
her interpretations and the recorded sound.  At any rate, Pierian is a
label that piano enthusiasts should investigate.

As an aside, I'm just wondering if anyone on the list is as impressed
as I am with the first movement of Prokofiev's 2nd Piano concerto where
the brass enter the picture toward the end of the movement.  It's such
a tremendous display of strength and energy that it always takes my
breath away.

Don Satz