From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jan 2003 14:41:15 +1100
Christopher Webber noted:

>The Braga Santos symphonies (especially perhaps Nos.  1 and 3) are
>exhilarating works which will appeal greatly to lovers of the RVW,
>Walton or Shostakovich canon looking for fresh fields and pastures new.

While I agree with this comment, it should be noted that Braga Santos's
style changed quite dramatically between the fourth and fifth symphonies,
so anyone coming new to this composer through the fifth or sixth symphonies
would be a little puzzled.  I also hear touches of Sibelius and even
Respighi in some of the brass writing.  It's great to have these wonderful
works recorded at last.

Richard Pennycuick