From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Jul 2002 23:11:44 +0000
   Robert Schumann(1810-1856)
   Davidsbundlertanze, Opus 6

Christian Zacharias
EMI 65464
Recorded 1978
Coupling: Papillons, Opus 2
TT 52:20

Thinking back to my review of the Jorg Demus version, we can use it as a
reference for the Zacharias recording.  Take the Demus slow movements as
given, add that last ounce of desperation to the fast movements, mix in a
much better soundstage, and the result is Zacharias.

This is a wonderful performance of the Davidsbundlertaze in wonderful
sound, and it now becomes one of a quintet of outstanding versions ready
for your immersion.  With Zacharias, Backhaus, Anda, Kempff, and Gieseking
among us, we really don't need any of the others I've reviewed.

In my listening regimen, I was very impressed with the sound quality given
to Zacharias; it is warm, exacting, bright, deep - covers all the bases.
I later learned to my amazement that the recording session was from 1978;
this is quite an accomplishment of sound that blows away the other four
exceptional performances.

Of course, we get much more than excellent sound.  Zacharias also covers
all the bases with his exuberance, tenderness, desperation, urgency,
questions, and reaching out for enlightenment.  He has the 'chops' to
do whatever he wants, and he simply wants to give us Schumann, not some
general playing style suited to the performer.

Zacharias isn't this good in his EMI take on Kinderszenen, but they
are different works of art music.  The Davidsbundlertanze deals more with
the raw materials of life and gives off a sense of spontaneous combustion.
From my view, Zacharias must feel a stronger connection with his
'primitive' side than his childhood.  He certainly digs and claws his way
through the strongest and most austere music, almost on a level with
Backhaus.

Perahia offers lovely performances, but Zacharias also has the full measure
of the music's beauty and delivers other stunning features absent with
Perahia.

Any great version should have at least one movement which can't be
bettered, and Zacharias has three: the 15th, 16th, and final movement.
He gives the extended second section of the 15th Movement a mix of
desperation and determination that consumes me.  His hyper-activity in the
16th Movement is tremendous and just what the doctor ordered.  Perhaps his
best movement is the final one.  It's an elegant waltz, and there isn't a
version more elegant than the light textured one from Zacharias.  Also, his
rhythmic pulse is infectious and highlighted by outstanding inflections.
Best of all, the spacing is a dream come true with intervals that speak to
me.  In the last Movement, Zacharias plays as if he wrote on the book on
Intonatsia.

Don's Conclusions: I wasn't expecting a great Davidsbundlertanze from
Christian Zacharias and am 'pleased as punch' to be mistaken.  The Backhaus
version may well be a bit more inspired, but Zacharias enjoys fantastic
sound and is clearly the version of choice for those demanding admirable
sound quality.

More versions of the Davidsbundertanze await my keyboard including those
from Alfred Cortot and Andras Schiff.  I'm looking forward to how Cortot
deals with the work, and I have my preliminary thoughts as to what Schiff
will do with 'desperation' - not much.  I do hope I'm wrong, since I like
to get the most out of my expenditures.

Don Satz