Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 20:04:24 -0400
From:
Daniel Beland <[log in to unmask]>
Jon Gallant:

>Daniel Beland lists many favorite contemporary works and wonders why
>they and their composers do not turn up in concert programmes.  A partial
>answer: at least five of the composers on his list (Freedman, Kenins,
>McPhee, Prevost, and Vivier) are CANADIAN.  Down here, we have strict laws
>against performing, listening to, or even thinking about Canadian music.
>It has something to do with the lumber wars, I think.

In general, Americans just don't care much about Canada, which is often
perceived as a quiet but boring place.  This is not *only* about music!
But being a Canadian composer is indeed an handicap in the US.  Being
Canadian is not just exotic enough!

>They are: Jacques Hetu, Linda Bouchard, John Rea, Brian Cherney, R.
>Murray Schafer, Jean Coulthard, and Malcom Forsyth.

I know - and I like the music of - these Canadian folks!  And if our
friends want to discover Canadian composers, they have to visit this
Website:

   http://www.musiccentre.ca/

They even have a "Bargin Bin", with fantastic CDs on sale for only six
Canadian dollars each (less than five US dollars)!!!!  I especially
recommend the I Musici de Montreal CD...

And if you like string quartets, you have to ear Murray Schafer's fantastic
quartets:

   http://www.atmaclassique.com/anglais/fiche_disque.asp?ID=ACD22188

Finally, this economic set of five CDs is a good way to discover some
interesting Canadian composers:

   http://cbcrecords.cbc.ca/pscd/2026-5.html

It's actually cheaper than buying Naxos CDs!  Are you ready to discover
Canadian composers?

Daniel Beland
Calgary, CANADA