Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 17:12:58 -0400
From:
Daniel Beland <[log in to unmask]>
Richard Pennycuick:

>This suggests that perhaps Penderecki's later music is more accessible
>to me; it could also be that my tastes have changed to accommodate him.

Actually, Penderecki's music has changed significantly since the 1960s.
His style has shifted from radical modernism to (what I would call) heavy
post-romanticism.

>Whatever, I'd be interested in other works by him that I should explore.

Penderecki's monumental vocal works are often the most interesting ones.
Do you know the Seven Gates of Jerusalem (Penderecki's Seventh Symphony,
written before the Sixth!)??? Like the Requiem, it's quite a powerful -
if not heavy - work...  But, sincerely, there is nothing to beat the
WONDERFUL St. Luke's Passion (1966).  This is still a modernist score,
but the composer integrates Gregorian themes in a most original framework.
From my perspective, this is one of the most moving 20th century musical
works.  I urge you to discover this stunning masterpiece:

   http://shopping.yahoo.com/shop?d=c&cf=1&id=366026

Daniel B - masterpeace