Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sun, 28 Apr 2002 13:01:41 -0400
From:
Mimi Ezust <[log in to unmask]>
Tim Horwood wrote:

>Does anybody else listen to Haydn?

Are chili peppers hot?

>I have been recently listening to such works as The Creation and some of
>the symphonies (45, 92, 101).  Does anybody have any favourite recordings
>or books they can recommend not necessarily limited to the works above?

Yes, yes!  Thank goodness for Brilliant Classics and Naxos.  I have all of
the piano sonatas, and there is real treasure there.

The Beaux Arts Trio set of the piano trios are wonderful, too.  (Every one,
natch)

I'm also more partial to the string quartets (yes, every one of them) than
to his symphonic works, but that's just because I'm prejudiced.  If you are
just starting out, try op. 33, branch to op.20 (#4 is my favorite) and op.
76.  But they are all terrific.

I can't think of ANYTHING by Haydn that I don't like.

A particular hard-to-find treasure is the symphonia concertante for oboe,
violin, bassoon, and cello and orchestra.  in B flat major HOb.I:105.
Delightful to play and hear.

Mimi Ezust