From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 10 Nov 2002 20:17:44 -0500
Dee Lusby said:

> In discussing, I think many were thinking that if we get
> the bees happy and healthy using small cell foundation,
> then if the secondary diseases and parasitic mites cannot
> hurt them,

The above assumes that cell size:

a) Has an impact on bee health

b) Has impact on disease

c) Reduces the incidence of mites

...but the "field tests" are ongoing on these points, so one
can either participate in the effort, or wait for more reports
from those who do.  No need to waste time arguing with
someone like me, who has yet to even think about trying it.

> then the beetles will have a hard time also.

But the line above REALLY confuses me.  How is
cell size going to have any impact on small hive beetles?

Are you saying that a larger bee population will be able to
control SHB, and assuming that a "more healthy hive" results
in a larger total population?  If so, why has no one in SHB
infested areas reported that their strongest hives have been
able to resist SHB?

Can anyone fill in some detail on how cell size might affect SHB?

Note that I had no comment on "making bees happy".
I'll believe that my bees are "happy" the day that I see
them sitting on the landing board reading the Bible.

...from the book of "Bee-Attitudes", of course.    :)

        jim