From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Dec 2003 09:28:27 -0600
James Tobin wrote:

>William Schuman withdrew his first Symphony, did he not?

And his Second Symphony and other works including the First String Quartet
and others.

>What other composers have famously destroyed their own works?

I believe that Brahms destroyed many of his early works.  Grieg did not
want his Symphony played, but indeed it was, and then it was recorded
on more than one occasion.  As I recall, Dukas destroyed some of him
music.  Barber also had an early piano concerto which I believe he
destroyed.

Along the same lines, I often wonder about the lost early works of Varese.
Supposedly they sounded like Mahler.  Panufnik's early works were lost.

Karl