From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Oct 2003 20:25:43 +0000
Mke Leghorn responds to Deryk Barker:

>>And Glenn Gould claimed that Mozart had died too late, not too early.
>
>And this coming from someone who's most celebrated contribution to music
>was made 27 years before his death (the Goldberg Variations, recorded
>in 1955).

I smell 'bias' here from a man who prefers Perahia's Bach to Gould's.
Of course, the 27 year comment is irrelevant.  Both Mike and I would
give our right hands to be as celebrated as Gould was, but I do give
Mike credit for using the properties of addition and subtraction correctly.
However, many folks consider Gould's 1981 Goldbergs his best; that one
was recorded just one year prior to his death.

Don Satz