From:
Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Oct 2003 22:00:20 -0400
Laurence Glavin writes:

>The segment ended with about a minute or so of Mahler's Third Symphony!
>What a way to start the day...and the excitement in Greater Boston right
>now is the start of the Boston Philharmonic's Mahler festival.  (Ok,
>some people's attention has been diverted by the Botox, er I mean Bosox).
>Did anyone else out there hear this interview?  Cherish it; NPR will now
>"compensate" for this bone to the illuminati with ten interviews and
>features in the pop/rock world.

It is possible to be excited about the Bosox AND the Mahler festival,
particularly since the great Mitsuko Shirai is coming to sing Die
Kindertotenlieder.  The dedication to pop and rock is basically a money
making venture for NPR- it too me a while to realize it.  They give
generous coverage to certain select artists and groups, then sell their
stuff on cds from their web site.  There is something a bit unsavory
about this deal but I cannot quite pin it down.  Anyway they are NPR and
can do no wrong.

Bernard Chasan