From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 May 2003 18:35:18 +0000
   Robert Schumann(1810-1856)
      Kinderszenen, Opus 15

Yves Nat, piano
Recorded 1930 & 1954
EMI 67141 [4cds]

In Part 16, I reviewed the sublime Annie Fischer recording of
Kinderszenen which was part of a 4-cd tribute to her pianistic artistry.
Yves Nat also received the star treatment from EMI, and his 4-cd set is
an all-Schumann program containing most of the composer's revered piano
works with the only noticeable absences being Carnaval and Davidsbundlertanze.

EMI also offers us two entirely different versions of Kinderszenen from
Yves Nat, recorded twenty-four years apart.  The two basic differences
between them are repeats and soundstage.  The earlier performances rarely
play the repeats, while the 1954 performance observes most of them; in
the very short scenes such as "An important event", the lack of repeats
is somewhat disconcerting.  Concerning sound quality, the 1930 version
has plenty of aural debris although little of it infects the notes.  The
1954 sound is an improvement, but its glassy nature is a negative factor.
Since the actual performances are quite similar, my comments below apply
to both versions unless otherwise noted.

The most appealing feature that Nat brings to the table is his uncanny
ability to blend the adult and child with a single note.  This comes
through strongly in "Foreign lands and people" where each note contains
great comfort, wide-eyed innocence, and the nostalgic musings of the
adult.  Also exceptional are his "Pleading child", "Slumbering child",
and the Postulude "The poet speaks".  In each case, Nat is fantastic
with his tender yet incisive utterances.  Nat and melancholy are a perfect
match.

Nat gives the more 'snappy' scenes such as "Curious story" and "Catch
me" ample rhythmic bounce.  In fact, his "Catch me" is one of the more
exciting versions on record, particularly in the 1930 performance which
has a little demonic activity.  "An important event" has just the right
pacing, and "Happiness" seems to leap out of the speakers.

Don's Conclusions: As I mentioned before, sound quality isn't very good
in either version, but I don't find it to detract at all from the superb
performances.  There are not any pianists more compelling than Nat in
the slower scenes, and he conveys abundant energy and zest in the faster
scenes.  Nat offers two of the most rewarding versions of Kinderszenen
on the market, and his 4-cd set devoted to Schumann is strongly recommended
to all piano enthusiasts.

Don Satz