From:
"Yoel L. Arbeitman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 May 2003 18:00:26 -0400
Gene Halaburt wrote:

>If one had to depend on the "French tradition" for Berlioz, I suspect
>there would be few or no Bicentennial celebrations to celebrate.

We do not disagree on that sad fact nor have I ever been ungrateful
to the English tradition beginning with Kubelik and carried on in ALL
Berlioz by Colin Davis.  Nevertheless, when one hears either Beecham's
1947 London or Scherchen's 1952 Paris recording of Les Troyens a Carthage
(i.e. Part II only), one gets an idea of the wrong direction which the
English tradition (Kubelik and Davis) took.  In the Beecham and Scherchen
one can hear authentic French style.  It is a pity that in both the
elegant Jean Giraudeau is not suited for the helden-element of Enee, not
at all.  And both recordings come from long before the critical edition.

Yoel