From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Jul 2002 20:13:48 -0700
Joel Hill ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

Deryk Barker wrote:

>>I agree the Busoni is superb, as are the shorter items.
>>But the Alkan Concerto is a major disappointment.
>
>2 Questions:
>
>What was disappointing about the Ogdon/Alkan?

It doesn't IMHO cohere, also (as Ates Orga points out in the liner note)
Ogdon pretty much ignores Alkan's staccato/legato markings in the opening
movement, a "critical" aspect of the music.

Plus, compare to Hamelin's, Ogdon's comes up short in the technique
department.

>Which version of the Busoni concerto do Listers think is best?

Donohoe and Ogdon.

Although both pianists are fine, Mark Elder's accompaniment for Donohoe
is superior to Daniel Revenaugh's for Ogdon (pity he didn't get to record
it with his 1966 Prom accompanist: Jascha Horenstein).

Also there is a little extra buzz from the live Donohoe.

Unfortunately, EMI being EMI, I believe the Donohoe is oop.

The Hamelin, BTW, is definitely an also-ran.  You can find my review at
http://www.soundstage.com/music/reviews/rev211.htm

deryk barker
([log in to unmask], http://www.camosun.bc.ca/~dbarker)