From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 13:59:18 +1000
Bernard Chasan:

>I particularly like the Nelson Mass if only because I sang in it a
>quarter of a century ago.

So do I, but not because I sang in it.  I'm particularly fond of David
Willcocks's version which has the added pleasure of an excellent echo.
I also share Bernard's enthusiasm for the Naxos quartets, and for the
Mosaiques versions.

I've mentioned these before, but they are special:  Frans Bruggen and the
Orchestra of the Eighteenth Century in the last twelve symphonies on two
Philips Duos, and the Haydn Sinfonietta, Wien's two CDs of overtures on
Koch, which are my idea of what HIP playing should be - I wish they'd do
some symphonies.  Leonard Bernstein's Paris symphonies on Sony are not HIP,
but they are classics, imo.  I also fondly remember a terrific Symphony #60
by the Esterhazy Orchestra conducted by David Blum.  And then there's the
magical opening to The Creation, culminating in "Und es ward Licht." Now,
the piano sonatas...

Yes, Tim Horwood, who asked the question that started the thread, indeed
there are people who listen to Haydn and continue to be grateful.

Richard Pennycuick