From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Apr 2002 18:47:38 -0600
Dan Schmidt:

>I just read Ernst Toch's THE SHAPING FORCES OF MUSIC, which I found to
>be an insightful discussion of various aspects of the art of composition,
>delivered in a winningly crusty manner.

It's one of my favorite books.  I've re-read it several times.  It
de-mystifies the composing process, but, paradoxically, makes great
work seem miraculous.

>It made me want to explore Toch's
>music.  Where's the best place to start?

Honestly, I've loved everything of his I've heard.  He's known for
his string quartets and chamber music.  There's a great piano quintet.
His symphonies are well worth exploring (the third, I believe, won the
Pulitzer).  He's got a very energetic piano concerto and cello concerto.
There's a jeu d'esprit called the Geographical Fugue -- a killer fugue
based solely on spoken words and rhythms.  As I say, everything by him I've
heard I've liked, including such minor works as the Pinocchio Overture, the
music for Peter Pan, and the Divertimento.  He is one fine composer,
perhaps even a great one.

Steve Schwartz