Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 8 Jul 2002 22:57:12 -0700
From:
Janos Gereben <[log in to unmask]>
In my review of Tan Dun's "Water Passion," I included a parenthetical - and
perhaps gratuitous - aside:

>(And how about those contemporary hip-hop masters of turntable scratching -
>will we hear the best of them in Silva next year? Their novelty may exceed
>what Tan is offering.)

On the long drive back to San Francisco today, I was listening to Terry
Gross, and wouldn't you know - her guest was Grand Master Flash, who was
talking about the technology of scratching - fascinating!  - and then Terry
played excerpts from his new CD, "Essential Mix: Classic Edition."
Surprise!  This is *good* stuff.

I am sorry about making fun of the genre. Silva, in fact, would benefit from
GMF and his truly fascinating multiple rythms and really innovative sound.

See below for the Fresh Air description; you can hear the interview at

   http://freshair.npr.org/dayFA.cfm?todayDate=current

   DJ and hip hop forefather Grand Master Flash. At the dawn of hip hop,
   he recorded with the Furious Five. Their hits included "The Message"
   and "White Lines (Don't Do it)". Nearly 3 decades ago, Flash created
   the 'Quick Mix Theory,' the process of blending one music break with
   another. His chose the songs for the new CD, Essential Mix: Classic
   Edition. It includes a collection of 70s and 80s dance songs.

Janos Gereben/SF

  [Ah, yes, classical hip-hop master.  -Dave]