Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 4 Jul 2002 18:21:08 -0400
From:
Jeff Dunn <[log in to unmask]>
Len Mullenger <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I have just placed Scott Mortensen's pages on Charles Ives on
>MusicWeb. I am sure he would welcome your comments:
>
>http://www.musicweb.uk.net/Ives/01_Ives_Site_Home_Index.htm

I viewed the pages and found them to be quite informative and well written.

However, I'm wondering about Scott Mortensen's assertion:

   I believe that it is not really correct to label Ives a
   "post-modernist" for a variety of reasons. First of all, Ives does
   not use allusions in an ironic way, as do most post-modernists. He
   has a high regard for all of the music that he quotes, regardless
   of its origin.

Irony is just ONE of the alternative methods of postmodernism.  There
are a large number of postmodernist works that treat quotations just
as Ives did.  Were Ives writing today, there's no doubt in my mind he'd
be considered postmodernist.  He was even more ahead of his time than
Modernists would like us to believe.  Or perhaps today's postmodernists
are BEHIND the times?

Jeff Dunn