From:
Eunice Wonnacott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 20:34:50 -0300
Have been reading the various posts re stings.  All seem to expect stinging
to happen in or around the bee yard.  My worst experience came on a Sunday
afternoon  in our back yard, 20 miles from the hives.  One yellow jacket did
not like it when I momentarily forgot to be careful and bent over to look at
the nest they had built under our deck.  One sting on the forearm did the
trick.  It took some time to push it off my skin.  Then , only knowing about
bee sting danger, I spent time calling the poison center at hospital, to ask
if bee sting allergy applies to wasps.  With a yes answer, my daughter
quickly drove me to the hospital.  We went straight there, instead of using
the epi pen, and actually left it at home.  In the emergency admitting, my
blood pressure read 225 over 195, and they wasted no time getting me an
adrenaline shot.    The admitting nurse cautioned me that I should have
brought the pen with me, because they may not have been able to attend to me
even there, if other emergencies were already being treated.

With that BP reading in my history, I am surprised at the information in
this list that anaphylactic shock produces a low reading.

I wonder how this can be explained??

EDW