From:
Karen Oland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Oct 2002 16:20:41 -0400
Bad example. There are a number (and growing) of organic apple orchards in
the US. The published information I have seen shows they are doing quite
well economically -- no doubt due to the higher price their product brings
on the market.  And they are selling for fresh consumption, not juice, where
appearance is paramount (we can get several varieties locally and they look
as good or better than conventionally grown apples and the taste of several
is much better -- usually due to having been left on the tree to fully
ripen, rather than being picked at a very green stage).