From:
Dave Cushman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Oct 2002 11:04:09 +0100
Hi Allen & all

I am not one to make airy fairy replies, but ...

> Does anyone know if producing wax
>
>  1. ages bees or if it
>  2. extends their life, or if
>  3. it has no effect on lifespan?

Bees that have built wax seem to me to be calmer, more complacent, possibly
even fulfilled, Now I know these are human characteristics, but I have no
other description to use.

The above statement does not address the question directly, but I conjecture
that the increased temperature required for wax production causes an
increase in the rate of metabolism and thus shortens possible life length. I
further conjecture that this reduction is small, because I do not see
empirical evidence of it.

Not a very concrete statement... perhaps others can add some detail?

Best Regards & 73s... Dave Cushman, G8MZY
Beekeeping & Bee Breeding Website...
http://website.lineone.net/~dave.cushman