From:
Iskender Savasir <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Apr 2003 01:43:55 +0300
Thank you so much for the invaluable information. I guess, there are two
unresolved issues:

Bert Bailey wrote:

>Haydn is rumored to have played the Austrian national anthem every day
>in protest even as the enemy guard stood outside.

Is the anthem in question, "Goot verhalte unser Kaiser" which is also used
in one of the slow movements in one of his String Quartets.

During the funeral, Michael Haydn's Requiem was
>played and at a memorial service on June 15, 1809, they played the Requiem
>written by Haydn's dear friend Mozart.

I am perplexed as to which Rqeuiem was played when? Moreover I am not
familiar with Michael Haydn's Requiem? Is there a recording available?

>Good luck with your concert: from what I've been able to gather after a
>couple of weeks' perusal, the angustiis or Nelson is the gem among these
>massterpieces.

I totally agree with its being a gem... So far I a have been perusing the
Gloria section in depth... Though I must admit, in all modesty, that I am
not a musician and what is in question is not a concert but a puny radio
program.

Thanks again,
Iskender