HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Ruth Burgett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 11:44:08 -0700
Hello,

I would like to announce the formation of a Perishable
Technology Listserv. Please pass this message on to
individuals you think might be interested.

My apologies for cross-posting and to those of you
that may receive multiple copies.

Thanks, Ruth Burgett

-------------
The Perishable Technology Listserv is an e-mail
discussion list formed to stimulate discussion about
and disperse knowledge of perishable technology within
an anthropological framework. Perishable Technologies
include, but are not limited to, fiber-based
industries like cordage, nets, sandals, baskets and
textiles proper. Objects of wood or animal fur,
feathers, and hide may also be included. As these
items are subject to the natural processes of
decomposition in most archaeological contexts they
are, quite literally, perishable.

The focus of this list is principally the perishable
technologies of historic and prehistoric indigenous
groups in the Americas, but discussions of perishable
industries among other groups are welcome. List
members are invited to ask questions, contribute to
discussions on a variety of topics, and disseminate
their own original research. Additionally, we welcome
information on upcoming books, conferences, and
symposia. List members need not feel pressure to reply
to any messages. Rather, they may simply "lurk" on the
list, reading messages they find interesting or
posting when they feel they have something to
contribute.

Ideally, this e-mail list will stimulate communication
among researchers and facilitate the dissemination of
current news and research related to perishables
studies. Individuals engaged in research on
perishables who are presently lacking a means to
advertise their research are invited to submit
summaries or versions of papers for posting on the
listserv site. Submissions can take on a variety of
forms but I suggest submitting texts as .pdf files or
in a form that we can then convert to a .pdf file
ourselves.

To join the list, terminate a subscription, or obtain
additional information please visit the listserv
webpage at the following URL: