HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Linda Derry <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 17 Apr 2003 11:51:36 -0500
Thanks for the info. Grant and Smoke,

....but I'm still confused about what the word "plug" means....exactly.
(cut or otherwise).  Are those "planks" you described the "plug" or are the
cut pieces the "plug?"  Did one use the cutter on Twist Tobacco too?

I'm offering up an account from 1855 for the use of this word in "context."
This comes from Cahawba Alabama where we find very few pipe pieces on the
site and many descriptions of tobacco juice stains in the documents, so I've
always assumed that "chewing" was the preferred method of consuming tobacco
here.  Please note the references to "chew" and "pulled off a plug."  (as
opposed to "cut" a plug.)   Note that Jerry asked that TEN POUNDS of tobacco
be "put up" for him.

Smoke, can you translate this for us non-tobacco savvy folks.  And Grant are
your store ledgers from Kentucky? (and by the way, Richard Kimmel,  I have
noticed that many of the older women  from the old Mill Villages here in
Selma still "dip snuff"  )

The 1855 quote:

        "....The clerk said he would.  He then turned to Jerry and said:  "Don't
you want some good tobacco.  You had better let me put up some for you."
        "Jerry was out of tobacco; and is as found of the article as any man.  He
was then suffering for a "chew," but in his eagerness to get the brandy, he
had forgotten all about tobacco.  The clerk had kindly brought the subject
before him.
        "Have you some that is good?" enquired Jerry doubtfully.
        The clerk assured him that they did, and to satisfy Jerry, Pulled off a
plug of the best and gave it to him as "a sample."  Jerry smelt it with the
sniff a judge, and taking a good chew, pronounced it very fine.  He told the
clerk he might put up ten pounds of that for him."

Linda Derry, Director
Old Cahawba - AHC
719 Tremont St.
Selma, AL 36701 - 5446