HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Josh Duncan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Jul 2002 11:01:48 -0400
katharine,

I apologie for the delay in reponse but we are moving our lab facilities and that has proven to be a bigger process than one could imagine. The only other butchery/slaughterhouse type excavation that I know of was the meat market in Charleston, South Carolina.  The report deals more with the sociocultural side of the market but the bone data is there.  I am also currently digging in a market square in Fredericksburg Virgina and the predominate use was as a butchery.  They seem to be involved in the final stages of the process as some jaw bones have been found but it appears that mainly cuts of meat being were being produced.  The citation for the Charleston report is:
    Meat in Due Season: Preliminary Investigations of Marketing Pratices in Colonial Charleston.  Calhoun, Jeanne, Elizabeth Rietz, Michael Trinkley, and ,Martha Zierden.  The Charleston Museum, Archaeological Contributions 9.
Please keep me posted on any other sources you may come across, best of luck

Josh

Josh Duncan
Archaeological Supervisor
Mary Washington College

<<< [log in to unmask]  7/ 7  9:59p >>>
Hi,
I'm currently identifying the faunal remains from the excavation of a nineteenth century butchery/slaughterhouse.  I was wondering if anybody knew of reports about excavations of similar sites.  Also, I'm curious about the effect of pigs munching bones.  The bones I'm identifying were fed to pigs and, so far, there is no sign of any gnawing, teeth marks, etc.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.  Thanks,
Katharine

Katharine Watson
76 Roker St
Somerfield