HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Denis Gojak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 May 2002 10:51:41 +1000
[Apologies if you get this via several lists]

Dear everyone

I would like to organise a session for this year's Land and Sea joint
archaeological conference at Townsville on the broad theme of
'Australasia and the Pacific at War'.  At this stage I'd be interested
in knowing who would like to contribute a paper or even a poster, with
the intention of structuring the session and perhaps refining its scope
once we know who is able to provide content.

In keeping with the idea of the conference, the theme could cover:

*  Indigenous / European conflict in the Pacific and its borderlands
from say 1500 to the present

*  Indigenous / colonial / modern  responses to war / conflict /
societal upheaval

*  World War II [and other wars] on land and sea

*  Biological aspects of war / violence

*  Machinery of war and the role of organised conflict in society

*  Conservation of military heritage, battlefields, landscapes

and a whole lot more besides.

Obviously in such a theme the boundaries of the three sub-disciplines
often become irrelevant and I would hope that we receive papers that
both showcase current research and take advantage of the opportunity to
jump out of their sub-disciplinary boundaries.

Any takers?  The deadline for initial offers is 24 May.  If you are
interested please contact:

Denis Gojak
Heritage Asset Manager
PlanningNSW