HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Paul Hampson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 10 Apr 2002 00:30:53 -0700
Bobby,

According to a msg from Kristina Roper you did pick up posters,
thank you.  I am trying to sort out just when I can get down there, it
needs to be relatively soon for the posters to be relevant.  Still
clearing backdirt (from an 8x8x6' hole) to recover burial parts (at
least 6, probably 7, burials).  We hope to pull back pavement Friday
to allow access to the intact remains.  Steve Dies is working with us
this week (he is working alternate 2-week periods at Lone Pine, so
we may see him again before we're through).  Haven't talked to
Roger again yet, but he was going to meet with a potential client this
afternoon regarding another burial recovery project.  Not sure how
eager I am for this.  Especially since I seem to be elected field
director due to being most likely to be able to actually be there every
day.  I've rather gotten used to a very flexable schedule that doesn't
require being somewhere for a specified period every day; spoiled,
yes, and the reality feels pretty confining.  Oh, well.  I can still out
screen all around me - all day, not just in spurts.  Velma says I can't
be an angry young man anymore, so I guess I'm graduating to
grumpy old fart.  The grandkids are doing fine, Velma will see them
in a couple of weeks when she goes to see her allergy doc - she is
now officially on stress leave for the rest of the school year, and
then retired.  Her health is actually, in most ways, much better than
a few years ago; but things like exposure to tobacco smoke mimic
heart attack symptoms, so great care has to be taken in public.  She
has lost ~30 lbs on weight-watchers, I have lost less on a semi-
parallel course, probably about where I was the last time you saw
me but I think in better shape.  Velma's mom is doing variably and
needing much attention, only a part of the reason for stress and
early retirement; parents and administrators supplying most of the
rest.  I have received word from the bank that they have accepted
final payment on the house.  Woo, Hoo!  Bed time, I have to be
there or nobody works.

Paul