HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Benjamin Nance <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Apr 2002 09:03:53 -0600
Some miscellanea on recent topics:

Two more moonshine references.  Sorry, no recipes.

Durand, Loyal, Jr.
  1956  "Mountain Moonshining in East Tennessee"  The Geographical Review. Vol. 46, pp. 168-181.

Klein, Richard M.
  1976  "A Nation of Moonshiners"  Natural History.  Vol. LXXXV, No. 1, pp. 23-28.  The Museum of Natural History.

I did an excavation of the Cordell Hull Birthplace in Pickett County, Tennessee, and there was a nearby cave in which Cordell's father, William "Uncle Billy" Hull, ran a still in the 1870s.  A man named E. F. Hassler, working for William Myer in the 1920s, excavated at the mouth of the cave, and the results were reported in Myer's "Stone Age Man in the Middle South"  (an unpublished manuscript).  In addition to the prehistoric remains, they "came upon the foundation stones of the furnace of this man's still."  There was nothing left in 1992 when I did my work there.

RE: Ketchup
I found a few sites dedicated to the product:

http://mimi.essortment.com/historyketchup_rlju.htm
www.ketchup.wonderland.org
http://www.sneakykitchen.com/Ideas/ketchup.htm

BEN