From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Aug 2004 14:21:54 -0700
M. Devard Morgan wrote:

>...  The question is: where do we go from here?  If you don't think
>what people are currently doing works, then offer alternatives.  And
>by alternatives I mean ideas likely to result in the continued life of
>orchestras.  Or do we take some higher road even if it means the whole
>thing collapses?  So far the good that has been done is that there are
>still orchestras in existence when, in purely economic terms, by all
>rights there shouldn't be.  Everyone in the business is looking for
>this magic bullet.

Unfortunately in N America there are few, if any, government grants for
classical music, etc.

Contrast with sports: you think those fancy stadiums get paid for by the
franchisee?  Nope, what often happens is that the franchisee threatens
to move the team to another city unless the city they're in right now
builds/helps pay for a new arena.

Yet nobody complains that sport is unable to pay for itself....

Oh yes, I'm bored with the ******* Olympics already.

Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>