From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Oct 2003 00:43:22 +0000
Ramiro Arguello asks:

>Can a Lister suggest a good sound recording of this Mass?

That all depends on what you're looking for.  If you want the very rich
and traditional approach on modern instruments, Jochum/EMI or Shaw/RCA
should satisfy.  For a heavier approach, Richter on DG is excellent.
Rilling on Hanssler is mighty fine and incorporates some of the elements
prevalent in period instrument recordings.

Speaking of period instrument versions, my favored one is the Leonhardt
on DHM.  It might not be in print at this time, but CDNOW has it for
sale by one of it subsidiary providers.  For the period instrument and
one-voice-per-part approach, there's Parrott and Rifkin with both having
much to offer.

If I remember correctly, Ramiro has the Gardiner and is not satisfied.
Since Gardiner's version hold up pretty well among the period instrument
recordings, I'd advise Ramiro to seek out Jochum or Shaw.

Moving on to a related topic, there's been some posting about Bach being
a Christian who wrote Christian music.  I look at it this way:

a.  I'm well aware that Bach was likely a religious man.
b.  I'm well aware that his Christian faith inspired some of his music.
c.  Not possessing this faith, I simply search for the universal human
     emotions underlying religious faith.
d.  I prefer to say that Bach wrote much sacred music and that some of his
     organ works are based on religious text.  I like to keep the religious
     angle as antiseptic as possible.

Don Satz