From:
Chris Parles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Mar 2003 21:54:23 -0500
There are many other alternatives.  For example, you could buy either
the whole of the Jochum EMI set from Dresden at budget price for around
$60.  There's also the Tintner on Naxos for the same price, though he
uses odd choices of editions.  Or you could buy the Skrowaczewski set
with the Saarbrucken Radio Symphony Orchestra on Arte Nova for about the
same price.  I would go for that one because of the superior sonics and
interpretations that are as good, and in some cases better, than the
Jochum.  Skrowaczewski also uses all the "standard" editions of the
symphonies, and includes 00 and 0 "Die Nullite", along with Bruckner's
Overture.  If you want a list of excellent budget releases for the
individual symphonies, here are my suggestions:

1)  Tintner  (Naxos)

2)  Tintner  (Naxos)

3)  Tintner  (Naxos) - One of best recording this symphony has received,
if not THE best.

4)  Ormandy (Sony) - For only a few dollars more you can get the best
recording of this symphony - Bohm's on Decca.

5 + 6)  Jochum (EMI) - A Two-fer, so the equivalent of two budget price
CDs.  If you must have just one of them, go for Ormandy on sony (#5) and
Skrowaczewski (#6) on Arte Nova, though you might have trouble finding
that, in which case you can go for Tintner.  Though, if you want a really
great #6, pay the extra money and buy Klemperer.

7)  Tintner (Naxos) - He's simply marvellous

8)  Maazel (EMI/Seraphim) - Among the best recordings of this symphony,
regardless of price.

9)  Tintner (Naxos)

The only reason I was unable (most of the time) to reccomend Jochum was
that his EMI set, which is sold in a box, does not come seperately by
symphony, but in pairs.  Any Two-fer of two symphonies from the EMI/Dresden
set is worth owning.  I must warn you, however, that the 8th is not up
to the standards of the rest of the set, but comes coupled with the 9th,
one of the strongest in the set.  Hope this helps

Chris Parles