From:
Constance Shacklock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 19:50:39 +0100
I was listening, rapt, to Radio 3 yesterday (truly a good deed in a
naughty world) when I heard a remarkable song cycle by Dvorak.  Now
these songs were uttered in his beautiful native language, but despite
my encroaching social deafness (which only afflicts me at parties and
during exposure to Philip Glass) I quite clearly heard the announcer
give the title as "In Folkestone, Opus 73".

Now I'm very fond of Folkestone (although it's not, alas, quite the
genteel resort it once was) but I'd no idea that the Great Bohemian had
visited it, let alone been inspired by it to a degree comparable with
Msr.  Debussy, for whom Eastbourne held a comparable fascination - it
was there, let us not forget, that he wrote that rather queasy piece
called "La Mer"!

I'm wondering whether any of our marvellous group have the details of
Dvorak's Folkestone sojourn?  Are any other Great Composers associated
with our equally Great British Seaside Resorts?  Did Brahms perhaps visit
Blackpool (to ride the Roller Coasters, perhaps?); or did Bach have a
sneaking fondness for the raffish elegance of dear old Brighton?  I'd
love to know!

Peace and Love to you all.

C. Shacklock (Mrs)
Nessun Dorma Villas