From:
Tim Mahon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Jul 2002 14:33:30 +0100
There's recently been some conversation regarding opera in English.
Normally, I frown in ersatz purist mode on opera (or any other
text-dependent music) being sung in a language other than the original,
despite the apparent advantages to communication.  I just don't have
confidence the composer's message is adequately put across when sung in
a language he didn't originate the music for.

However, that's not the point.  What is, is that while looking for some
Magnard discs (blame Mimi Ezust -- she's got me working at long distance!)
I found a Dante recording of Rimsky-Korsakoff's "Mozart & Salieri" I bought
years ago and failed to listen to.  So on the CD platten it went.

At the end of the opera performance (pretty good -- a recording of a 1963
live performance in Leningrad) came a real surprise.  Bass Boris Gmyria
singing Leporello's Catalogue Aria -- in Russian.  Now, I don't speak the
language, despite having grown up surrounded by Russian literature, art and
music -- so I can't vouch for the translation.  But the overall effect is
magical -- so much so that I have had to listen to it half a dozen times.
I have long loved Russian as a language for singing and this is a wonderful
example of the power, flexibility and suppleness of the sound of the
language.  So taken am I, I may even have to work on revising my opinions
and listen to some more opera in English to see what I MAY be missing.

Dante LYS 483 (1999):  Choeur et Orchestre Philharmonique Symphonique
de Leningrad, cond.  Edouard Grikouroff; Konstantin Ognevoi sings Mozart,
Boris Gmyria (what a voice!) sings Salieri.  Recommended for all lovers
of off-beat opera.

Tim Mahon