From:
Gene Halaburt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jun 2002 20:51:51 -0600
Kevin wrote:

>On the back of an old lp of mine (VOX, Debussy Preludes I, Novaes),
>there is a set of care instructions on the back.  One of the items
>says:"For those with wide range equipment, it is advised to adjust for
>the RIAA curve." Would someone please explain to me what this means?

In order to reduce both high and low frequency noise and other artifacts,
LPs are (were) made with the high frequencies made louder and the low
frequencies made softer.  When the records were played, the playback
electronics were expected to provide inverse compensation for this.  At
first various companies used different amounts of boost and reduction,
making exact compensation difficult, but finally all agreed on one
standard, called the "RIAA Curve." Not something to lose sleep over.:-)

GeneH