From:
T & M Weatherhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jan 2003 06:58:07 +1000
Lloyd wrote

> All comb honey MUST be frozen asap after taking it off the hive.  Freezing
> kills wax moth eggs and larvae as well as SHB.

(snip)

> The advantage of freezing full supers is that after 24 hours of being at 0
> degrees, the supers can be removed from the freezer, and kept inside the
bag
> for several days or a few weeks until one can find the time to process
them.

With my searching of all the literature I could find, I only found one
reference to using -12 degrees centigrade for 24 hours to kill all stages of
the small hive beetle (SHB).  Is the 0 degrees in centigrade or fahrenheit?

In Australia we will shortly be undertaking some research to see if higher
temperatures will kill all stages of the SHB.  With wax moth there are
different temperature/time relationships so one would expect that this
should be the same for SHB.  However we will have to wait and see.

Trevor Weatherhead
AUSTRALIA