Date:
Sat, 12 Oct 2002 07:29:12 -0400
I've been using homemade escapes for a couple of years.  They're cheap, and
very easy to make and use.  I have found that they work much better in the
late summer/early fall than in warmer months.  The cooler temps at night
drive the bees from the supers down into cluster.  Less concern about
overheating, too.  I've found that the best system for me is to wait for a
couple of cool nights, put the escape on mid-day, wait two days, and then
pull the supers.  I rarely have more than 30 or so bees in a super this way.

I have had robbing occur if I put the escape on and can't get to it within
two days - mostly uncapped honey, though.  Apparently the bees can figure
out how to beat it if it's left on long enough.

Todd.