From:
Miguel Muelle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Sep 2002 15:57:13 -0400
"Robert Stumpf, II" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>It occurs to me that if I had to select one piece of music that embodies
>the essence of the lst century it would be Strauss' Metamorphosen.

While I agree with Robert in that Metamorphosen represents the early 20th
century, I don't feel that it *embodies* the 20th cewntury's essence.  I
think Metamorphonsen stands on the 20th century looking back (even more so
than any one piece by our dear GM).  On what musicological basis do I say
this? None, really, only on my often anachronistic heart's view.

When I hear Metamorphosen (and it is one of my favorites) it looks back
to a time in humanity where absolutes existed, Beauty, Nobility,...  and
declaims its poetry without quoting its excesses, yet never really looking
forward as does GM and others.  It has nostalgia without becoming maudlin
or caricaturing.

I have never truly crossed over into the 20th century musically...  I know
there are treasures awaiting me of which I know nothing...  I couldn't come
up with 20 pieces -- let alone 101!  Now I am *two* centuries behind...
However,

   "...I live in peace at a quiet place.
   I live alone in this, my heaven,
   In my love, in my songs."